Since its introduction into the market, vape pens have gained a lot of popularity among teens and adults alike. It is termed as the modern electronic cigarette or e-cigarette. It first came into existence back in 2003, in China, where they heated flavored liquid to create vapour thereby delivering nicotine without the burning of tobacco. This concept soon got picked up worldwide and was met with a lot of traction. Since then, there has been an enormous increase in popularity over the years.
What is vaping?
Vaping refers to the heating of tobacco, marijuana flower or its extracts at a temperature, hot enough to make it vaporize, without actually burning it.
How do vape pens work?
Vape pens also called as e-cigarettes, are battery-operated devices that use nicotine or flavored liquid and heats resulting in a vapor, which is then inhaled. Unlike the traditional cigarettes, it does not involve burning of tobacco. There are different types of vape pens available in the market that uses different mechanisms to achieve the same result.
- Open system devices use e-liquid to be directly filled and refilled into the vape pens.
- Closed system devices use cartridges filled with this liquid that can be replaced.
- Some advanced vape pens include Box Mods, Mods, or APVs, which can be modified with battery power, or cartridges according to vaper’s preference.
- Drip Tips is another modification of vape pen that does not require cartridges. It works by adding a few drops of e-liquid directly on to a heating mechanism.
- Beginners to vaping however prefer to buy disposable vape pens which are use and throw.
The basic structure of a vape pen consists of five different parts, from bottom to top,
- Atomizer or heat source
These pens have a button that need to be pressed to activate the heat source. Each vape pen has an indicator that shows when the dosage is complete. Regardless of their design or appearance, the function is exactly the same.
Vaping vs Smoking.
- Traditional cigarettes work by burning of tobacco, which can cause a lot of smoking related illnesses. The toxins produced by the burning of tobacco is very harmful. This can be avoided in the case of vaping, as there is no burning but only heating of nicotine. Vaping is not completely harmless, but it does help in cutting down smoking especially for those who are trying to quit smoking entirely.
- Both are ultimately nicotine devices, however, studies have shown that vaping is less addictive compared to smoking.
- Despite being less harmful compared to smoking, there is hardly any difference in the taste and quality. Thereby delivering the experience of smoking in a much harmless way.
- After the initial cost of a vape pen, the subsequent costs are pretty minimal when compared to that of smoking. Twenty cigarettes a day can lead upto $9000 per year whereas vaping will cost $900 for a year.
These are some of the common reasons as to why people prefer vaping or electronic cigarettes to the traditional idea of smoking cigars.